Sunday, January 25, 2015

14.07.12 [INTERVIEW] BEAST, an Uncommon Loyal Group


Director Lee GiBeak is one of the recent hot music video directors. Starting with Epik High 'Map the Soul,' he has shown creative and sensual videos. Recently he's been maintaining a strong bond with the BEAST members and created their group, unit, and solo music videos.

The most recently released BEAST's title track 'Good Luck' MV was finished with the motive from director Wong kar-wai's movie '2046,' creating a lyrical and unique MV style. From a recent interview with newsen, director Lee GiBeak revealed the behind stories of 'Good Luck' MV filming and the BEAST members.

Regarding the Hong Kong movies' characteristics found in 'Good Luck' MV, director Lee GiBeak said, "Nowadays a lot of music videos bring in European and/or Japanese senses. In the situation where I had to create a picture, I wanted to bring in the '90s Hong Kong movie. Personally I liked '2046' the best out of director Wong Kar-wai's movies and it matched well with the lyrics [of the song] so I homage it. I had to give the story to the six members. Normally I'm thoroughgoing but this time I was a bit relaxed. There were 7 teasers and even though there weren't any highlight points of the song, I thought it would be easier to empathize with the story if a situation was created and explained why it was taken in that angle."

In this music video, the fans showed a lot of interest with BEAST's maknae Son DongWoon's bed scene. Lee GiBeak said, "In the beginning I tried to give an R-rated image of DongWoon. It was because he was the youngest of the team and he didn't have any big issues yet." Even though it was a bed scene, DongWoon wore all his clothes while he filmed the scene. GiBeak said, "He couldn't take off his clothes. DongWoon apologized saying he wasn't ready to take off his clothes. He said his body was not ready to be shown with them" and laughed.

GiBeak then said, "It's now your turn to film so you film the bed scene but in fact I had planned to make DongWoon film that scene. But GiKwang and DuJun teased him a lot while filming."

When asked about what the strength of BEAST is, he didn't hesitate to answer and said 'loyalty'. "It's rare to find a group that's this close to each other. All of the members' personality are good-natured and they feel like neighbor dongsaengs. That's why it's easier to talk with them." He complimented the boys by saying, "They're also good at acting in MVs. First of all they have experience. They also have a different performance direction from other idols. Rather than trying to look pretty, they're strength is that they can show the song's emotions well. Because they create their own songs, they have a higher understanding of the songs too."

We asked about the individual members' charming points as Director Lee GiBeak had continuously worked with the boys starting from YoSeop's solo album 'Caffeine,' BEAST's 'Shadow,' JunHyung's 'Flower,' and 'Good Luck.'

Lee GiBeak said, "They say YoSeop is like an ant-hell. I think they say it after seeing YoSeop in reality programs. In 'Good Luck' it wasn't good to be seen as a kid so he did a good job in showing a manly image. YoSeop knows the points of the concept and shows it cleverly. 

GiKwang is pretty. Isn't he really pretty? If GiKwang ever does a solo then I think he will create a totally different image from what he has already shown till now. I think it'll be cool if he does it with a clean and luxurious feel. 

When I worked with JunHyung, he tells me a lot of things. He let me listen to 'Good Luck' since he started making the song. He said he wants to 'show a good performance this time' and also added, 'I wanted to show people that DongWoon improved a lot in performance this time. That's why I gave the bed scene role to DongWoon because I wanted him to have a strong image. 

DuJun is DuJun. He always does his best. Doesn't he have a football team captain feel? I couldn't adjust well to HyunSeung at first. The coolness I had in mind was different from his as he was doing a totally world's performance. But I think what the fans want is that kind of feel from Jang HyunSeung.
Truthfully the two who are very different from performance is DuJun and HyunSeung. DuJun does it accordingly to the standard but he has his own unique expression and HyunSeung was like modern dance. At first I couldn't adjust to it but the fans liked it and I realized a lot as I talked a lot with the boys. During this MV, I told HyunSeung 'Film in whichever way you want' and the amount of film taken was three times. I told him I'll match it by myself but HyunSeung contacted me later saying, 'Director, it's this one.'

"I have a lot of conversations with BEAST. Because I'm quite young in this area, I think we have something more in common when we talk with each other. I personally like BEAST's 'Midnight'. If BEAST ever sings a song like that, I wish to work with them again."

Director Lee GiBeak chose BEAST's 'Good Luck' as his best video work. He said, "While I was filming, I felt as if my capability was increasing. That's why I like the most recent work. I was highly satisfied as the choreography of 'Good Luck' came out well too."

cr:  dream1016.tistory.com

No comments:

Post a Comment