Sunday, January 25, 2015

14.10.21 [Interview②] ‘Fifth Debut Anniversary’ BEAST “We Will Be The Sam On Our10th Anniversary”


Whether an idol group can have a long run or not is determined on the group’s fifth to seventh debut year. This is when most groups renew their contract with an agency, and idol group who has become top stars are usually offered millions of dollars from other companies. If all members agree to maintain the team, the group becomes a long run group which was the case for Shinhwa, and if not, they take separate path which was the case for MBLAQ.
Then, what about BEAST who celebrated their 5th debut anniversary on October 16th? Luckily, it seems like there isn’t ‘such a problem’ regarding their activities. Up until now, they’ve been showing strong team work. In addition, unlike other idols whose fandom do not expand when certain time elapse, BEAST’s fandom is getting bigger every day. What’s their secret to this?

✔ It’s been five years since you made a debut. I guess you can call yourself veteran artists now.
Yoseob: We will show more of our new features with our new song, so we’re close to rookies than veteran artists. We’ll present energetic stages which are similar to ‘Good Luck’ performances. We sing in a relaxed way, but put more power on a stage performance.

✔ Your team name is ‘Beast’ but none of you look like beasts. Do you put efforts to correspond yourself with the team name?
Yoseob: We did not intend our team name to refer the meaning of beast as an animal. African-American choreographer came to teach us dance, and he said ‘So beast’ as a slang which became our team name. At that time ‘beastly idol’ became the buzz word, and people misunderstood our identity. I try to build some ab muscles but it’s not that easy. I feel sorry. Haha!

✔ Recently, there’s been a rumor that MBLAQ is going to breakup, and BEAST who made a debut on the same day is still showing strong team work. What’s your secret to this?
Joon Hyung: There’s no secret. We are not anxious about the myth that fifth years is the critical time for idols. We don’t intentionally try to strengthen our team work. We just went with the flow without worries, and here we are.

✔ Any conflict between putting individual activities over group activities?
Doojoon: I believe group activity must be put on the top priority. I’m still young, and there are tons of things to show you. Of course, I could put my individual activity on the first place. We focused more on our individual careers a year ago. Well, people can take it differently from their perspectives, but in my opinion, this can lower the group’s dignity.
Hyun Seung: When pursuing individual careers, we must put our entire focus on them. It’s not like concentrating on individual act is a bad thing. Rather than putting more weight on one side, a group’s essence does not change if it has a strong group identity.


✔ What’s BEAST’s identity? How would B2ST’s past, present, and future differ?
Hyun Seung: We are finding our place in terms of group’s identity while doing our activities. We’ve made good outcomes with previous hits, and we can also do dance and all-live singing at the same time.

Joon Hyung:  I got rid of my personal greed and only thought what’s the best for the team when we promoted our song ‘Good Luck’. I thought it was difficult to come to a mutual understanding as time passed by, but we remain unchanged on our fifth debut anniversary. So I guess on our tenth debut anniversary, we will be full of spirits just like new artists.

✔ What comes to your mind on the fifth debut anniversary?
Joon Hyung: I’m thinking ‘Fifth debut anniversary already? Am I doing a good job?’ types of things.
Dongwoon:  Many thoughts are going through my minds from the early years of our debut up until what we look like now. We didn’t have good start in the beginning. I heard it from my dad only few days ago that the head of Cube Entertainment told my dad that if he invites my dad for dinner within a month of our debut, the team is likely to be continued, and if not, it means disband of the team. Only two days before one month, my dad got a phone call. It feels touching that we are getting lots of love now. It allows me to get my thoughts together.

✔ Among many events that have happened to you, when did you feel the happiest?
Dongwoon: When I made a debut. Exactly five years ago, we made the first appearance in <Music Bank> with white outfits. I also think about when we ranked #1 on music show and when we held our first concert. Our fans threw us a surprise event during our recent concert. I feel thankful to the point I’m about to burst out tears.

✔ Tell us how you evaluate BEAST’s past five years?
Joon Hyung: I feel like we’ve become firm by piling up our career neatly. We’ve never jumped to the next step. We are like a well fermented Kimchi.

cr: wikikpop

No comments:

Post a Comment