Tuesday, April 7, 2015

[INTERVIEW] 141020 BARFOUT! Magazine


BEAST’s new single ‘How About You’ that Yong Junhyung wrote, composed and produced with lyrics like “Day or night, it’s only you”, “I think I’m going crazy, this is becoming a habit, how about you?” is a song that is a little embarrassing to the women;  it is a jovial song that is overflowing with feelings towards the other party. Together with Yoon Doojoon, Yang Yoseob, Jang Hyunseung, Lee Kikwang, Yong Junhyung and Son Dongwoon whom appeared on Barfout for the first time,  we spoke about the new song and the ‘2014 BEAUTIFUL SHOW IN JAPAN’ that will open next year*; With plans to promote more actively in Japan in the future, although their voices were not heated, it is an interview where you can feel their enthusiasm. Wondering how they’ll overcome the language barrier, the expectations for the tour increased.

*Yana: I think they meant to say “next month” instead of “next year”

We each develop on our own, and we faithfully manage ourselves(Yoseob)



Barfout (BF from now on): ‘How About You?’ is a song that is shockingly honest and direct to the other party; are you not shy/embarrassed when singing the song?
Yoseob: No we’re not. Although there are parts like that in the lyrics, the song itself is lively and exciting. While recording, it was fun and there was nothing too difficult about it.
BF: What is the point of the song’s production (process)?
Junhyung: I made a song that many people, whoever, could relate to. But it’s not a song with the feeling like you’ve heard it somewhere before but the fluttering, precious, beautiful expressions when you first fall in love. Although expressing love’s fluttering feeling isn’t something too difficult,  I thought of it and wrote “What about me?” as part of the lyrics (laughs).
BF: During recording, do you tell the members “sing it like this”?
Junhyung: Is there? But for almost everything, when I request for the members to do it a certain way, they all give it to me in that way. This time round, I really like how Dongwoon-goon sang his parts. I thought he could do a little better than he already was, so I would tell him “Let’s try it one more time” and I made him do it a few times (laughs).
BF:  When talking about music or singing, is there something that everyone is conscious about?
Yoseob: For our singing activities, we work hard; in increasing our own worth/values, we are also self-improving on our own, and we are also constantly managing ourselves but in the case of Junhyung-goon, he listens to songs that rises on each chart and learn from it. And with me for example, when I’m singing a light/jovial song, in the recording booth I will jump slightly on the spot. In that way, I can get the feel, body and tension right and then I’ll sing.
BF: This time round, you released a BEST album; Looking back on your promotions in Japan, how was it, what was your first wall (obstacle)?
Dongwoon: In October last year, I came to Japan to promote. Back then too, I couldn’t communicate properly in Japanese and reflecting on that, from then on I’ve been studying everyday.
Kikwang: Yes, although Japan, or Korea or Asian countries are similar in many ways, I could feel the large difference in the languages. Thinking of the talking parts during a concert or a performance, I am constantly worried that we are not able to accurately convey what we want to say due to the language difference.
Yoseob: That’s right, but when we use the word “wall”, it has a negative connotation, I think using the word ‘fence’ has a better nuance (laughs).
BF: Hyunseung-san is.. pretty cool (quiet).
Hyunseung: Yes, I’m the cool (quiet) type. I’m sorry I’m not saying anything.
BF: It’s okay (laughs). Next year you’re opening another huge tour.
Doojoon: After the release of our new single in Japan, we will be opening the Arena tour; Fans will be able to listen to a few songs that will be sung for the first time. Yesterday, we had our first meeting about the tour.
BF: What kind of ideas came out?
Kikwang: Yesterday was a meeting about the opening. We also spoke about the stage structure. In addition, we talked about what kind of communication would be best with the fans.
Junhyung: That’s right. We spoke about the overall concept so there were various opinions.
BF: Not just in Japan but in the future there will be even bigger activities; in the meanwhile however, at this stage as BEAST, are there any goals for the finish line or ‘We would like to leave BEAST with this aspect’ things like that?
Dongwoon: This is my personal goal, I want to promote for a long time constantly presenting new music and new stages. Although I’m not sure what kind of music that ‘new music’ will be but the image will be a little different from the type of image we’ve been showing up till now; I think that’s the most important thing to a singer. I think constantly learning up on that aspect is also a part of music.
BF: Up till now, it’s been an image of cool, sharp visuals.. Will there be a change in artwork?
Junhyung: Definitely. Whenever we have a new album or song coming out, we will have the thoughts in showing people a new side and when we show people a fresh side, people will have interest. I think that people who didn’t know us before could also end up having interest in us. Therefore, in wanting to show people a new side of us – although we’ve been doing it till now, moving forward we would like to really study on that aspect. But this is not something we’re doing calculatedly and on purpose… We would like to present the message that “we are growing up too” and for that we should work even harder.

‘Not too long ago, I went to Hawaii for the first time with Doojoon-goon and Junhyung-goon, we watched the sunset while walking leisurely on the beach, it was really the best'(Dongwoon)
‘Yup, for the first time since I was born, it was such a graceful time'(Junhyung)
‘My heart is still in Hawaii(laughs)'(Doojoon)

cr: theb2utynotes.com, @KongKongXD and @a8sun

No comments:

Post a Comment